Frequently Asked Questions
For any questions not covered in this FAQ, please contact
Anne Ford, NORPASS Inc. Executive Director
(360) 339 2071
A transponder is a small electronic device that attaches to the inside of the vehicle’s windshield and allows trucks to bypass weigh stations by electronically verifying the legal weight, safety rating and credentials of the truck.
Yes. Once a Transponder is purchased it is your property and can be registered for use in any NORPASS or PrePass jurisdiction as well as the Oregon Green Light system. Transponders registered with PrePass will be subject to PrePass regulations and fees.
No. Once a transponder has been purchased it is your property.
Contact the Washington State Department of Transportation Transponder Administration at 1-888-877-8567.
- Excessive speed
- Change of speed
- Following too close to another vehicle
- Lane changes
- Excessive braking prior to reaching the Weigh-In-Motion scale (if applicable)
- Center the Vehicle in the Weigh In Motion (WIM) lane (if applicable)
- Maintain a steady legal highway speed
- Provide at least a three second gap between your truck and other vehicles
- Secure tarps so the wind does not trip the over-height detector
- Avoid dark metallic window tinting that can interrupt the transponder signal
- Avoid metallic windshield visors that can interrupt the transponder signal
- Use only one transponder in your vehicle
- CB’s may cause an interruption of the signal to the transponder
On average bypassing a weigh station saves 3-5 minutes.
- Near the center of the windshield
- On the passenger side of a divided windshield
- Either three inches from the top or just above the dash board
Yes. NORPASS can register PrePass Transponders; however, the carrier must first contact PrePass. NORPASS will only register a PrePass transponder upon receipt of a Letter of Authorization from PrePass.
It is not recommended. Having multiple transponders in a vehicle can prevent the correct one from being read.
No. Removing the battery destroys the transponders memory.
Yes. Complete the Transponder Transfer form and fax it with a copy of the vehicle registration/cab card to the number provided on the form.